You’ve read on here before about my 80/20 rule. you’ve also read about how I don’t find healthy eating to be too much of a challenge in the day-to-day. Well, over the next few weeks, I’m going to be using every bit of that 20% (and probably a bit more). I love all things fun, food and family, and I’ve got a lot of those kind of events coming up. I am so excited to do new things, see people I haven’t seen for a while, and of course, eat all kinds of delicious food. 🙂 What’s coming up you ask? Well, let me tell you:
- This weekend, I’m going to a food and wine (although I won’t be drinking) event called Eat Drink Norfolk. It’s celebrating local food and drink – you buy tickets and then get food and drink samples from a variety of vendors. I went last year and it was TASTY! I’m also helping my sister and brother-in-law move on Saturday, for which I have to make lunch, and after which we will be going out to some delicious restaurant, no doubt.
- Next weekend is Easter…which means 2 family get togethers, and two big meals (my Aunt, who is hosting one of them, is an HHH reader…and said “save your 20%”!)
- After that, it’s the weekend of my half marathon and the ladies’ retreat at my church. There’s always TONS of junk food and a chocolate fountain at the retreat (hey, I’m not complaining) and we’re planning to go out for brunch after the half (although at least for this weekend I will be running 13 miles!)
- The next weekend, I am catering a birthday lunch for 20 people, so there will be lots of tasting going on in the kitchen – beware the BLTs! Oh, and it’s also Mother’s Day too.
- The weekend after that, my mom and I are leaving for a 11 day trip to LAS VEGAS! She has a work conference and was planning to go alone, but when she saw all the “spouse” opportunities, she thought it’d be a whole lot more fun to go with someone else, so she asked me! Since I’m a supply teacher, I can go. We’re staying a a hotel that is way nicer than we could afford on our own, and it looks like there are SO MANY delicious restaurants to choose from…temptation at every corner!
Now, I am looking forward to each and every one of these events. I am so grateful for all of these opportunities…so don’t think for one second that I’m complaining. But I still want to fit in my pants come the end of May. I want to enjoy and celebrate the fun and food at all of the events and not feel deprived…after all, that is the whole point of this blog…enjoying the good life while staying in good shape! So what can I do to enjoy myself, not freak out and obsess, and hopefully not gain weight? I don’t have it perfected, but here are some strategies:
- Make exercise a priority. I do this anyway, but workouts are extra-important when there’s extra food at the table. If possible, I’ll try and sneak in extra activity on the weekends, but in reality, I don’t know how likely that is when I’ll be so busy.
- One day at a time. This is HUGE for me. And beyond one day, it’s more like one meal at a time….ie…if I over-do the splurging a bit, it’s not the end of the world…and I DON’T have to write off the entire day…just move on, and get right back on track.
- Eat smart when I can. If I know I’ve got a big lunch or dinner ahead, make wise choices for breakfast to set me up for success later in the day.
- Take the stairs! This will be my battle plan in Vegas….last year, I went on a cruise and the buffet was 10 floors up from my room…and I never took the elevator! Even though I was eating A LOT, I somehow managed not to gain any weight…the stairs were key to my success.
- Be selective. There will be lots of calorie-rich foods around over the next few weeks, but not all of them will be foods that I really love. I can certainly indulge in my favourites, but special occasions do not need to be an excuse to eat everything in sight.
- Eat mindfully. It is so easy to mindlessly munch away at parties where there’s lots of food. I need to pay attention to what’s on my plate, and how I feel after eating. If my stomach is full, I need to listen to it and NOT refill my plate.
- Factor in the extras. I’ll be cooking a lot the next few weekends…so that means lots of tasting. I will need to adjust my meals accordingly to factor in the extra calories.
This list is by no means exhaustive….this is where I need you! Give me any strategies, tips and tricks that you use to exercise self-control in the midst of food-filled events. Please share….I need all the help I can get! And while this list represents good strategies in theory, putting them into practice is a whole other matter. I still struggle with special occasions….so I’ll be sharing my ups and downs with you along with all the good eats I’ll be sampling in the next couple of weeks.
Speaking of good eats, before I sign off for the day, I thought I’d share my first mango (of many) adventures with you. I combined one no sugar added Kozy shack tapioca pudding (this is a favourite of mine, as well as their rice pudding…haven’t had it for a while but it had been TOO long) with some chopped mango, and a dash each of ground ginger and cardamom. YUM! Such a great quick snack or dessert…the mango loved getting kozy with the tapioca. 🙂 More mango madness to come!